Here are some other things to consider.
- Medicare spends about $50 billion on the last 2 months of a patient's life.
- Medicare/Medicaid fraud is estimated at $70 billion per year.
- 23-30% of prescriptions never get picked up at the pharmacy according to a Surescripts study based on 40 million prescriptions from 2008-2010.
- 80% of health care bills contain errors.
- Insurance claim errors are estimated at about $17 billion per year.
- According to the Milliman Medical Index which measures the total annual cost of health care for a typical family of 4 using a Preferred Provider Plan (PPO), costs in 2002 were $9,235. In 2011, the costs were $19,393.
- By 2025, the average annual cost for family health care insurance will equal the average annual household income.